Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Day Five - Teddy Roosevelt Nat Park ND - Spearfish SD - Keystone SD

Today we started out the day with a hearty breakfast at the Cowboy Cafe in Medora. Checked out of the Badlands Motel and headed in to Teddy Roosevelt National park. Drove the loop road again. This time we saw a large number of Bison. Well about 30-40 of them. Stopped for a while to take pictures. Very cool. I tried to get as close as I could but there was a creek in my way so I could only get within probably 200 yards. Probably a good thing the creek was there.



Went for a small hike on the buck hill trail which at the top had some amazing views. Also went for a hike on the Wind Canyon trail which had some amazing views of the little Missouri river. I almost hit a prairie dog with the BRM. But with my catlike reflexes I was able to hit hit the brakes and miss it. Dumb prairie dog ran right out in the middle of the road. Jack keeps calling them squirrels. But I don't think they are even closely related.



Had a quick picnic lunch at the Chimney public park just outside the national park. Then back in the chariot down I94 a few exits then a right on route 85 to South Dakota. Stopped at a Dairy Queen at I94 and 85. Ordered a chocolate cone and they said they only have vanilla cones. They haven't carried chocolate cones for a year. Whats the deal with that. Piped again. I'll have to write Warren Buffet. He owns Dairy Queen. The trip down 85 was largely uneventful. Lots of rolling hills, rocks, hay and cattle. Looks a lot like Montana. Very few cars.



One small incident was a cow that must have gotten loose and was in the middle of the road. We had to stop to let it cross. Continued down 85 to 385 and 16A through Spear Fish SD and Deadwood SD to Keystone SD. Deadwood looks really neat. We just drove through but will have to go back and stop there. Keystone is a tiny town. Only 300 people I think. Looks like a total tourist trap with lots of souvenir stores.



We decide to stay at the White House resort hotel. Which looks like a total tourist trap but its actually pretty nice. It has just been remodeled. We try to find dinner but nothing is open except the saloon down the street and it doesn't serve food. So we have peanut butter and Jelly in the room and call it a night.



The Badlands hotel did not have a free breakfast so we went to the Cowboy Cafe. Good food.















The putt putt course was closed at the badlands hotel but I got my picture by the bison on the 7th hole.






Some Bison poop.











The top of the Buck Hill trail. Awesome views.











Here I am with the 30-40 buffalo we saw.











A prairie dog.






A picture of some of the wild horses we saw.











Our picnic lunch. Notice we were civilized and actually used the table cloth.


Route 85 from North Dakota to South Dakota. Notice the nothingness.












1 comment:

Michelle said...

Love the prairie dog picture. And all the animal pictures, really. But I can't see the buffalo supposedly in the picture with you. Where are they? Maybe it is my crappy computer screen at work. Glad you are having fun! How is the new camera working out?