Sunday, September 28, 2008

3rd Day - Fargo ND - Jamestown ND - Bismarck ND

Our first full day in North Dakota. The weather this morning wasn't very good. Cloudy, cool and windy. Toured around Fargo in the morning. Seems like a nice little town. Fueled up and then headed down I94 to Jamestown. Road conditions much better. Made of concrete to withstand the harsh winters I presume so the roads hold up better.



In Jamestown we stopped at the National Buffalo Museum. A total tourist trap but kind of a neat museum. All about the buffalo and history of ND. Buffalo is actually an incorrect term they are called American Bison. At the museum is a small herd of Bison we took pictures of. One of them is a white Bison which is really rare and there have only been like 3 of them in recent history. Also at the museum is the worlds largest Bison statue. A big metal thing. Built in 1959. I will attach a picture. There were also a collection of old buildings from the ND frontier we were able to tour.





After Jamestown it was back on I 94 to Bismarck. In Jamestown we had some equipment failure on the Big Red machine(BRM). The left headlight is inoperable. Jacks preventative maintenance routine on the BRM is not up to snuff I guess. (Though the PM on my Honda is non existent) . So we decide not to drive the remote expanses of North Dakota at night with only one headlight and will stop for the night in Bismarck.



Check in to the Fairfield in start repairs on the BRM. Of course its not simple to change the headlight on a BRM. Had to do some dissassembly to get to it. Being the genius I am I was able make the necessary repairs. I do notice the air filter is really dirty. After repairs completed we went for a small drive through town seeing the ND Statehouse and downtown area and vicinity. Stop at Walmart to pick up a few things including a new air filter. Applebees for dinner then back to the hotel.





Here are some pictures...








The big Red Machine in Downtown Fargo. Neat little town.








Filling up the BRM at the local Loaf and Jug. What kind of a name is that? Upon further investigation it appears to be a part of the Kroger Corporation. I'll have to see if they have franchise opportunities. Cleveland could use one.







A whole lot of nothing between Fargo and Jamestown...








And here it is...the long awaited Worlds largest Buffalo. From a distance.












And here it is up close. Quite large. I would like to have one.






I took some pictures of the live buffalo but they were with my new camera and I am getting errors on my laptop trying to open them. Something about not enough memory. It is the crappy microsoft photo editor. Piped by Microsoft. So I need to investigate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not a vacation unless you get piped. Have you found any penny smashers?

Jim

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

Yep found a penny smasher in the Mall of America. Nothing so far in North Dakota. They arent as good of capitolist I guess.

Michelle said...

You keep getting piped, and Jack has no arms and legs. How ever will you go on? Please bring that buffalo home. It is wicked cool.